Daily Current Affairs 12th August, 2017
Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta Re-elected
- In Kenya, Uhuru Kenyatta has been re-elected as President following the election. Election Commission Head Wafula Chebukati announced in Nairobi that Kenyatta got 54.27 per cent votes beating his rival Raifa Odinga who got 44.74 per cent of votes.
- The opposition rejected the results even before they were declared, calling the process a charade.
CBFC Board Reconstituted
- In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (1) of section 3 of the Cinematograph Act, 1952 and the Cinematograph (Certification) Rules, 1983, the Central Government has reconstituted the existing Central Board of Film Certification for a period of three years or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
- The new board will be headed by Sh. Prasoon Joshi.
Push for law to ensure transparency rules
- The Economic Survey has proposed Transparency of Rules Act (TORA), a legislation to end any asymmetry of information regarding rules and regulations faced by an average citizen.
- The TORA is an attempt to change in some ways the relationship between the average normal citizen and the State.
- TORA will require all departments to mandatorily place all citizen-facing rules on their website. Officials will not be able to impose any rule not mentioned beforehand.
- All laws will have to be updated by the department while providing access to history of the same webpage.
- Once a department has shifted to the platform, it can be deemed “TORA compliant” and citizens can be sure that the information is authentic and updated.
Govt launches Indian National Anthem video in sign language
- The Human Resource Development (HRD) Ministry has launched a new video of the National Anthem in sign language, featuring disabled and partially disabled children announced on 10th of August 2017.
- It is directed by veteran filmmaker Govind Nihalani. The 3-minute video features film star Amitabh Bachchan along with physically challenged children performing the anthem in sign language with the Red Fort in the background.
- Thevideo was also launched in Goa, Bhopal, Chandigarh and Kolhapur.
ECONOMY,BANKING AND FINANCE
Canara Bank launches two new digital services
- On August 10, 2017, Canara Bank unveiled two new digital services for online payments. Bharat QR (Quick Response) for payment settlement at merchant locations and Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS), an integrated bill payment system for net banking customers.
Hindustan Unilever, Asian Paints and BhartiAirtel – Forbes’ list of the world’s 100 most innovative companies
- Three Indian firms namely Hindustan Unilever, Asian Paints and BhartiAirtel are among Forbes’ list of the world’s 100 most innovative companies.
- com has replaced Tesla Motors on the top position. BhartiAirtel has entered the ranking at 78th position.
- HUL and Asian Paints have moved up in their ranks to 7thand 8threspectively (from 31st and 18th last year).
- HUL recorded an innovation premium of 68.59%;Asian Paints (68.28%) and BhartiAirtel (41.4%).
- Among others in the top 10 are — Amazon.com (3rd position), Shanghai RAAS Blood Products (4th), Netflix (5th), Incyte (6th), Naver (9th) and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals (10th).
- The annual ‘World’s Most Innovative Companies’ are the ones that investors expect to be innovative now and in the future.
- To be included in the list, firms need seven years of public financial data and USD 10 billion in market cap.
- According to Forbes, companies are ranked by their innovation premium. The difference between their market capitalisation and the net present value of cash flows from existing businesses.
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), Sun Pharma and Larsen & Toubro were also on the 2016 list.
- This year these companies failed to make the cut this year, bringing down the total number of Indian firms from five to three.
SEBI Ties Up with Iran Counterpart for Technical Assistance
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) and Securities & Exchange Organization (SEO) of Iran have entered into a bilateral MoU for mutual cooperation and technical assistance.
- It will facilitate mutual assistance, contribute towards efficient performance of the supervisory functions, and enable effective enforcement of laws and regulations governing the securities markets.
- The MoU was signed by SEBI chief Ajay Tyagi and SEO Iran chairman Shapour Mohammadi.
Indian Bank Brings 2-tier Interest Rate for Savings Accounts
- According to the PSU lender Indian Bank, it has introduced two tier interest rate structure for saving bank accounts and will offer interest rate of 4 per cent per annum on savings account with incremental balance of over Rs 50 lakh and 3.50 per cent per annum for deposit up to Rs 50 lakh.
- The new interest rate will be effective from August 16, 2017.
GOVT SCHEME/DIGITAL INDIA
Odisha govt and Facebook launches ‘SheMeansBusiness’ programme
- Odisha government has launched ‘She Means Business’ programme of Facebook for women entrepreneurs. Odisha government’s partnership with Facebook aimed to reduce the digital divide and empower nearly 25,000 women entrepreneurs and SHGs.
- Under the scheme 25, 000 women entrepreneurs and self-help group (SHG) members will be given training on digital marketing skills within next one year.
- Facebook will also make a database of entrepreneurs in the state and will monitor their growth, turnover and profit after one year. While success stories among them will be highlighted to inspire others.
- Women entrepreneurs will get hands on training on digital marketing free of cost and they need not create their website to promote their business. The platform will also facilitate vertical integration.
Telangana launches Smart Streets Lab
- To improve road safety in Hyderabad with the use of technology, the Government of Telangana, along with World Resources Institute (WRI) India Ross Center, has announced the launch of Smart Streets Lab program.
- The Lab will pilot innovative road-safety and women safety solutions and leverage new developments in technology and IT to transform the streets of Hyderabad.
The International Youth Day: 12 August
- The International Youth Day was observed across the world on 12 August with the theme ‘Youth Building Peace’.
- This year, the Day is aimed at celebrating young people’s contributions in preventing conflicts and bringing about transformations along with inclusion, social justice, and sustainable peace.
Environment Minister launches ‘Gaj Yatra’ to mark World Elephant Day
- Union Environment, Forest and Climate Change Minister, Dr. Harsh Vardhan haslaunched ‘Gaj Yatra’ on 12th of August 2017.
- The goal of World Elephant Day is to create awareness about the plight of elephants and to share knowledge and positive solutions for the better care and management of captive and wild elephants.
AWARDS AND HONOURS
Gerish Khemani and Akshat Nigam awarded “Hindu playwright Award 2017”
- The Hindu Playwright Award 2017 is awarded to Gerish Khemani and Akshat Nigam for their play ‘In Search of DariyaSagar’.
- The playwriting awards was organized by the newspaper The Hindu in Chennai.
- The 2 lakh award was presented to the two playwrights at the 13th edition of The Hindu Theatre festival.
Veteran journalist T J S George bags first-ever Kesari Media Award
- Veteran journalist T J S George has bagged for the first Kesari Media Award announced on 11th of August 2017.
PERSONS IN NEWS
Milkha Singh Appointed WHO Goodwill Ambassador
- Legendary Indian athlete Milkha Singh has been appointed WHO Goodwill Ambassador for Physical Activity in South-East Asia Region.
- Milkha will promote WHO South-East Asia Region’s NCD (non-communicable diseases) Prevention and Control Action Plan which seeks to reduce the level of insufficient physical activity by 10 percent and NCDs by 25 percent by 2025.
Pakistan’s ‘Mother Teresa’ Dr Ruth pfau dies
- Dr Ruth Pfau, a German doctor popularly known as Pakistan’s ‘Mother Teresa’ for dedicating her life to eradicate leprosy in the country passed away on August 10, 2017 in Karachi.
- She founded the Marie Adelaide Leprosy Centre in Karachi in 1962 and later set up its branches in all provinces of Pakistan, including Gilgit-Baltistan, and treated over 50,000 families.
- Due to her tireless efforts, the World Health Organisation in 1996 declared Pakistan one of the first countries in Asia to be free of leprosy.
- She was awarded the Hilal-e-Imtiaz — Pakistan’s second highest civilian award — in 1979, the Hilal-e-Pakistan in 1989.
Veteran Poet and Writer, Vijay Nambisan Passes Away
- Poet and writer Vijay Nambisan, who became the first All India Poetry Champion in 1988, passed away. He co-authored Gemini, a poetry book, with Jeet Thayil and Dom Moraes.
World’s Oldest Man Dies in Israel at 113
- Israeli Holocaust survivor Yisrael Kristal, certified by Guinness World Records as the world’s oldest man, died aged 113.
- Kristal, originally from Zarnow, Poland, was born on September 15, 1903, three months before the Wright brothers’ first successful powered airplane flight.
Veteran sports journalist Ted Corbett passed away
- Ted Corbett has passed away on 9th of August in Huntingdon, the UK. He was 82.
- Corbett retired from the travelling side of journalism in 2008.
- He also worked as the most envied job in newspapers as cricket correspondent of a national paper.
- The veteran journalist continued to write his weekly columns for The Hindu and the magazine Sportstar well beyond his 80th birthday.
Indian-American appointed to chair US energy commission
- US President Donald Trump had appointed Indian-American Neil Chatterjee the chair of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
Reenat Sandhu Concurrently Accredited As Next Ambassador of India to the Republic of San Marino
- Reenat Sandhu, presently Ambassador of lndia to ltaly, has been concurrently accredited as the next Ambassador of lndia to the Republic of San Marino, with residence in Rome.
Gaitri Issar Kumar accredited as the Ambassador of India to the Grand Duchy Luxembourg
- Gaitri Issar Kumar an IFS: 1986 presently Ambassador of India to Belgium.
- She has been concurrently accredited as the Ambassador of India to the Grand Duchy Luxembourg, with residence in Brussels.
David Rasquinha appointed as Exim Bank MD
- David Rasquinha has been appointed as Managing Director of Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank) on August 11, 2017.
- Rasquinha is at present Deputy Managing Director of the Exim Bank.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved his appointment to the post for three years.
Dilip Asbe Appointed as Acting Chief Executive of NPCI
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has appointed Dilip Asbe to act as its chief executive officer in the wake of the retirement of A. P. Hota, its founding managing director.
Jet Airways Appoints Vinay Dube as CEO
- Jet Airways India Ltd named Vinay Dube as its Chief Executive Officer (CEO). Jet Airways has been without a full-time CEO since Cramer Ball quit in February 2016.
- Dube is currently senior vice president, Asia Pacific with Delta Air Lines Inc., one of the world’s largest and most profitable airlines.