Daily Current Affairs 12th March, 2017
B P Kanungo was appointed Deputy Governor in Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
- B P Kanungo was on Friday appointed Deputy Governor in Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for three years.
- He has been appointed in place of R Gandhi.
- Kanungo was in March last year appointed as executive director in the central bank.
SBI incorporates wholly owned subsidiary for premises and estate matters of SBI
- The State Bank of India on March 11, 2017 has legally incorporated SBI Infra Management Solutions Pvt. Ltd. (SBIIMS Pvt. Ltd.) as a wholly owned subsidiary of SBI. SBIIMS Pvt. Ltd. will now manage the premises and estate related matters of SBI.
- The new subsidiary will save the time of bank employees who earlier performed these non-core functions. Now these employees can handle the core functions of the bank and increase the efficiency.
- SBIIMS Pvt. Ltd. will handle the advisory services, transaction management, facility management and implementation of policies and initiatives.
- In the initial phase this new subsidiary will have 400 registered offices and will look after work related to premises and estate of State bank Group. Each local head office centre of SBI will have one circle office of SBIIMS and and about 100 zonal offices at administrative office centres of SBI will be opened.
YES Bank signs 3 projects of smart city for payments-related solutions
- Private sector lender Yes Bank has signed three projects to provide payments-related solutions to smart cities. The bank finds it as a good business opportunity.
- Yes Bank has currently ties up with Udaipur, Nashik and Puducherry for the introduction of digital payment systems under the smart city initiative.
- This tie up will prove fruitful for the bank as it is follows a revenue share arrangement. It means that the bank will get some per cent commission on the usage of its facility. This will also benefit the bank as it will get new clients and help in cross-selling.
- Yes bank has already started its services in Udaipur by introducing RuPay card for payment for government services and retail services. It will also roll out its service in Puducherry by end of April and in Nashik in May.
- As per the bank in Nashik the main focus will be on government payments, while in Puducherry the bank will be launching a prepaid card for tourists.
SSB signed MoU with NSDC and NSDF for skill development for its personnel’s
- Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) has signed an MoU on March 10, 2017 with National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and National Skill Development Fund (NSDF) for skill development of its serving/retired personnel and their family members.
- After the MoU, SSB will be able to provide employment to its retiring personnel and also to those who are already retired.
- This MoU will not only benefit the SSB Personnel but also their dependents and the people like school dropouts, victims and potential victims of human trafficking living in the area where SSB is deployed.
- Kiren Rijiju launched an in house developed mobile app named “MySSB” and praised the efforts of Inspector (Ministerial) Gautam Basak in developing the application.
- Through this app employees can be updated about their service related details and grievance details. Also the app can be used to access the details of salary & allowance, GPF subscription, service particulars including posting profile etc.
AWARDS & HONOURS
‘Dangal’ won the Viewer’s Choice Best Film award at Zee Cine Awards 2017
- ‘Dangal’ won the Viewer’s Choice Best Film award at Zee Cine Awards 2017 on 11th March 2017.
- Salman Khan won the Best Actor and Anushka Sharma was named the Best Actress for their film ‘Sultan’ based on votes by viewers.
- The song ‘Channa Mereya’ from the film ‘Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’ was named the Viewer’s Choice Song of the Year.
PERSONS IN NEWS
Thai contestant wins transgender beauty pageant
- Thai contestant Jiratchaya Sirimongkolnawin was crowned Miss International Queen 2016 on Friday at a contest billed as the world’s largest and most popular transgender pageant.
Narendra Kumar Appointed New Chairman of Central Water Commission
- Narendra Kumar has been appointed as the new Chairman of the Central Water Commission (CWC), with effect from March 9, 2017 upon the superannuation of former Chairman GS Jha.
- A Central Water Engineering Service (1979 batch) officer, Narendra Kumar became CWC member (river management) in October 2014.
India ranked 132 in the latest edition of FIFA ranking
- In the latest FIFA ranking for the month of March Indian Football team dropped two places and is now ranked at 132nd spot as compared to 130 in February FIFA ranking. The rankings were released on 9 March 2017.
- Currently Indian team has 233 points which is 11 less than what it had in the month of February i.e 244 points.
- Argentina is at the top in FIFA ranking with 1644 points, followed by Brazil at second spot with 1534 points and Germany at third spot with 1443 points. Chile and Belgium are ranked at fourth and fifth respectively in the FIFA rankings for the month of March.