Daily Current Affairs 1st March, 2017
EU member states approve visa-free travel for Georgia: does not apply to UK or Ireland
- European Union member states approved visa-free travel for Georgia, after agreeing safeguards to prevent any upsurge in arrivals from the former Soviet satellite.
- Under the accord, Georgian citizens will be able to travel visa-free for 90 days in the EU during any 180-day period.
- The accord does not apply to the United Kingdom or Ireland.
First Integrated Heliport of the Nation
- The First Integrated Heliport was recently dedicated to the Nation by Ministry of Civil Aviation in association with Pawan Hans at Rohini Heliport, Delhi.
- The heliport is an excellent infrastructure but helicopter services in India are still at a nascent stage. National Aviation Policy proposes to have four heliports, one in each region and Rohini’s heliport is the first step.
- The Rohini heliport has been completed in almost two years at a cost of nearly 100 crores. This Heliport will provide all helicopter operational facilities and will decongest busy Indira Gandhi International Airport, and also promote Regional Air connectivity through helicopters in the northern part of the country for regular passenger services, heli services, landing & parking of helicopters, Helicopters Maintenance Services (MRO), disaster management, helicopter emergency medical services (HeMS), law & order surveillance.
India signs Financing Agreement with World Bank for Tejaswini
- A Financing Agreement for IDA credit of US$ 63 million (equivalent) for the “Tejaswini” Socio-Economic Empowerment of Adolescent Girls and Young Women Project” was recently signed between India and the World Bank.
OECD cuts India’s growth forcast to 7%: states growth will occur in the coming financial year
- Paris based think tank Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) has cut India’s growth forecast for this fiscal year (2016-2017) to 7% from 7.4% earlier (2015-2016) because of demonetization.
- But it also stated that the pace will accelerate to 7.3% next fiscal (2017-2018) and higher in Financial Year 2019. According to OECD India is already in the process of implementing a gradual reduction in corporate income tax to 25% from 30%.
CBDT inks 10 more Advance Pricing Agreements
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has entered into 10 more Advance Pricing Agreements (APAs) pertaining to various sectors of economy like Telecom, Banking & Finance, Pharmaceutical, Steel, Retail and IT etc.
- It includes 7 Unilateral APAs, 2 Bilateral APAs with the United Kingdom and Japan.
- Seven of these Agreements have Rollback provisions in them.
- With this, the total number of APAs entered into by the CBDT has reached 140.
- It includes 130 Unilateral APAs and 10 Bilateral APAs. In current FY 2016-17, 76 APAs (61 Unilateral and 7 Bilateral APAs) were signed.
MEITY to promote digital transactions in place of NITI Aayog
- The Union Government has shifted the responsibility of promoting digital transactions in the country to the Union Ministry of IT and Electronics (MEITY) from NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog.
- In regard to this the Government has already changed the business transaction rules to enable MEITY to promote digital transactions, including digital payments.
- This decision was taken in view of the core competence of MEITY to promote digital means for various transactions.
4th India-CLMV Business Conclave held in Jaipur
- The fourth edition of India – CLMV (Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar and Vietnam) Business Conclave was held in Jaipur, capital of Rajasthan.
- The two-day conference organised by Department of Commerce and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) held deliberations on manufacturing, renewable energy, agriculture and skilling among others sectors in the region.
- The development objective of Tejaswini, for Socioeconomic Empowerment of Adolescent Girls and Young Women (AGYW) Project in India is to improve completion of market-driven skills training and secondary education for adolescent girls and young women in select districts of Jharkhand.
PERSONS IN NEWS
Author Neil Gaiman Named U.N. Goodwill Ambassador
- The author Neil Gaiman has been appointed as a global Goodwill Ambassador of the UN Refugee Agency,UNHCR by Filippo Grandi, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees. He has appointed to raise awareness about the plight of forcibly displaced people and to generate much needed funds.
Popular Gujarati Writer Tarak Mehta Passes Away at 87
- Popular Gujarati writer and noted play writer Tarak Mehta passed away. He was 87 and suffering from age related illness since long. The famous humorist was best known for his column ‘Duniya Ne Undha Chasma’ in Mumbai based Gujarati news weekly ‘Chitralekha’.
- He was awarded Padma Shri in 2015.
- The popular comic television serial ‘Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah’ is a television adaptation of Padma Shri Taarak Mehta’s column ‘Duniya Ne Undha Chasma’.
Rangaswamy Becomes First Woman to Be Honored BCCI Lifetime Achievement Award
- To recongnize the contribution of women cricketers, the BCCI for the first time, has introduced the Lifetime Achievement Award for Women. Former captain, Ms. Shanta Rangaswamy has been nominated for the award.
- She led India in 12 Test matches and in 16 ODIs.
- Apart from her,Mr. Vaman Viswanath Kumar and late Ramakant Desai have been nominated for the BCCI Special Award in recognition of their yeoman services to Indian Cricket.
Jitu Rai wins bronze in 10m shooting ISSF World Cup
- Ace pistol shooter Jitu Rai staged a remarkable comeback to clinch the bronze medal in the 10m air pistol event for India’s fourth podium finish in the ongoing ISSF World Cup.