Daily Current Affairs 1st September, 2017
3 Days International Hindu conference begins in Nepal.
- Aim is reinstating Kathmandu as the global capital of Hinduism.
- The theme of ‘Emerging spiritualism: Renaissance of Hinduism’
Hurricane Harvey menaces Texas, Louisiana US
US bans its citizens from travelling to N Korea.
- The United States banned its citizens from travelling to N Korea months after death of an American student who had been imprisoned in the country for 17 months.
- Notably, violators of this ban could face 10 years imprisonment.
Joint Proposal by India & China in WTO on Aggregate Measurement of Support (AMS)
- India and China jointly submitted a proposal to the World Trade Organisation (WTO) calling for the elimination – by developed countries – of the most trade-distorting form of farm subsidies, known in WTO parlance as Aggregate Measurement of Support (AMS) or ‘Amber Box’ support as a prerequisite for consideration of other reforms in domestic support negotiations.
National Nutrition Week
- The National Nutrition Week will be observed throughout the country from 1st to 7th September.
- Theme: “Optimal Infant & Young Child Feeding Practices: Better Child Health”.
- Objective: to intensify awareness generation on the importance of nutrition for health which has an impact on development, productivity, economic growth and ultimately National development.
- Key facts:- During this week, the Food and Nutrition Board of Ministry of Women & Child Development will coordinate with concerned Department of the State/UT Governments, National Institutions, NGOs and organize State/UT Level Workshops, Orientation Training of Fields Functionaries, Awareness Generation Camps, Community meetings during the week on the specified theme.
Ahmedabad gets India’s first World Heritage City certificate
Ahmedabad in Gujarat has been formally accorded the status of India’s first World Heritage City, third in Asia after Bhaktapur (Nepal) and Galle (Sri Lanka).
Jammu and Kashmir and Arunachal Pradesh were the fastest expanding State economies in 2015-16.
- According to a new series of gross State domestic product data with 2011-12 as the base year published by the Central Statistics Office .
- The two States also reported the fastest rise in per capita income in the same year.
- Arunachal Pradesh’s gross State domestic product (GSDP) expanded 16.5 per cent and that of Jammu and Kashmir 14.7 per cent at constant 2011-12 prices.
- Top 5 States: Maharashtra remains the largest State economy, with its size estimated at ₹16,59,776.05 crore (₹16.6 lakh crore) at constant 2011-12 prices. Maharashtra is followed by Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh and Karnataka.
ECONOMY, BANKING AND FINANCE
ItzCash partners with HDFC Ergo for general insurance products
- Mumbai based digital payments company and financial exchange Ebix’s ItzCash, has partnered with non life insurance provider HDFC ERGO to offer general insurance products through its physical retail outlets.
- With Ebix’s major play as one of the world’s largest insurance exchange, this association will further strengthen ItzCash’s position in the Financial Exchange market.
Aksh Optifibre bags contract with Bank of Baroda
- In accord with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s mission of ‘Banking for Everyone and Financial Inclusion’, Aksh Optifibreplans to setup 5,000 banking kiosks through its flagship services arm “1 STOP AKSH” as the national level bank correspondent for Bank of Baroda.
- Under “1 STOP AKSH “ the company is operating 10,000 plus existing e-Mitra kiosks in Rajasthan, out of which 500 plus are already serving as banking kiosks.
ENVIRONMENT, SCIENCE AND TECH
BUSINESS & CLIMATE SUMMIT 2017 HELD IN NEW DELHI
- Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) is organizing the third edition of BCS.
- About Business & Climate Summit 2017:- The BSC is the leading annual forum for businesses, investors and policymakers on climate action. It is where business and governments come together to agree on a roadmap for reaching net zero emissions over the next half century.
- Theme:- Global carbon reduction targets; and collaboration between business and government is critical to success.
- The Business & Climate Summit would be attended by Ministers, Senior Government Officials, Business Leaders, International Agencies, Banks & Financial Institutions, Senior Business Executives and Media from different parts of the world.
- Objectives:- Express business belief that accelerated reduction in GHG emissions to limit global warming to +2°C maximum is compatible with the pursuit of human, social and economic development, and their commitment to engage in this direction.
FarmerZone: The future of agriculture
- The Department of Biotechnology (DBT), under the Ministry of Science and Technology, had recently convened the Smart Agriculture Conclave in New Delhi, in partnership with the UK’s Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) and Research Councils UK (RCUK) India. The objective of this conclave was to set the stage for “FarmerZone”.
- FarmerZone:- It is a collective open-source data platform for smart agriculture which will use biological research and data to improve the lives of small and marginal farmers.
- FarmerZone has been envisioned by the DBT and aligns with the Indian Prime Minister, Mr. Narendra Modi’s call for effective decision-making in agriculture that integrates science, technology, innovation and the farm ecosystem.
- It is envisaged that “FarmerZone” will help cater to all needs of the farmer, from dealing with climate change, weather predictions and soil, water, and seed requirements to providing market intelligence.
- The FarmerZone platform will connect farmers and scientists, government officials, thought leaders in agriculture, economists and representatives from global companies who work in the big-data and e-commerce space to bring about technology-based localised agri-solutions.
- The platform will work on getting relevant quality data related to agriculture into the cloud, develop sentinel sites to help link with farmers and evolve PPP based enterprises for data delivery
Govt notifies e-way bill, exempts more mass consumption goods
- The government has notified the electronic way (e-way) bill, exempting certain items of mass consumption, including fruits, vegetables, food grains, meat, bread, curd, books, and jewellery.
- Other items outside the ambit of the e-way bill include contraceptives, judicial and non-judicial stamp paper, newspapers, khadi, raw silk, Indian flag, human hair, kajal, earthen pots, cheques, municipal waste, puja samagri, LPG, kerosene, heating aids, and currency.
- The goods and services tax (GST) regime, rolled out from July 1, mandates obtaining permits called e-way bills for transporting goods consignments of more than Rs 50,000 in value with a view to checking tax evasion.
Rajiv Gauba appointed as Union Home Secretary.
- Rajiv Gauba on August 31 took charge as the Union Home Secretary after superannuation of incumbent Rajiv Mehrishi.
- Interestingly, Rajiv Mehrishi appointed as Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
Rajiv Mehrishi appointed as Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
- Retired Union Home secretary Rajiv Meharishi was appointed as Comptroller and Auditor General(CAG) of India.
- Rajiv Meharshi will replace Shashikant Sharma as a 13th CAG of India.
Rajeev Kumar takes charges as NITI Aayog Vice Chairman.
- Economist Rajeev Kumar took over as Vice Chairman of government think tank NITI Aayog. He replaced Arvind Panagariya, an Indian-American economist who left the think tank to return academia.
- Interestingly, PM Narendra Modi is the Chairman of NITI Aayog.
Sanjaya Baru takes charge as Ficci Secretary General
- Sanjaya Baru on Sep 1 took over as the Secretary General of the apex industry body, the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (Ficci).
Kokani writer Mahabaleshwar Sail receives 2016 Saraswati Samman.
- Prominent Konkani writer Mahabaleshwar Sail was presented with the Saraswati Samman 2016 for his Novel ‘Hawthan’.
- The novel published in 2009, captures cultural lives of traditional pottery community in Goa.
Reliance Foundation awarded with Prestigious Rashtriy Khel Protsahan Puraskar.
- The Reliance Foundation was rewarded with the prestigious Rashtriya Khela Prostahan Award at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- This was awarded for its contribution to the promotion of sports.
Social Activist Parull Mahaajan honoured with ‘Shri Shakti Samman’
- Eminent Social Activist Parull Mahaajan has been felicitated with ‘Shri Shakti Samman’ for her phenomenal contribution in the field of Women Empowerment.
- Parull Mahaajan is an Inspiring Lady who wears many hats at the same time. A Lawyer, Interior Designer specialising in green and sustainable designs, Advisor Delhi Literature Festival and Social Activist working actively in the areas of Environment Conservation, Swachh Bharat, Women
- Empowerment, Supporting and Promoting the interests of Weavers and Artisans and ‘Make in India’.
Reliance Foundation Young Champs named No.1 grassroots academy by AIFF
- Reliance Foundation Young Champs, the residential football scholarship academy based at Navi Mumbai, has been adjudged as the No.1 grassroots academy in India by the All India Football Federation (AIFF).
PVR’s Chairman And MD bags ‘Exhibitor Of the Year’ Award
- Ajay Bijli, Chairman and Managing Director of PVR Limited, will receive the “Exhibitor of the Year” Award at the CineAsia Awards Ceremony on 14 December 2017 in Hong Kong.
- PVR began as a joint venture agreement with Village Roadshow, a global film production and exhibition company of Australia, and within a few years, the company established the multiplex format in India.
India post their biggest ODI win in SL, take 4-0 series lead.
- With the help of centuries of Captain Virat and Vice captain Rohit, India defeated SL by 168 runs in Colombo.
- Notably, this was 300th ODI of former Indian Captain MS Dhoni.
Virat Kohli scored highest runs in ODIs in 2017.
- Indian Captain Virat Kohali became the leading ODI run scorer this year.
- Kohli who has scored 907 runs this year, overtook S Africa’s Faf du Plessis, who has 814 runs in 2017.
India wins Bronze at World Boxing Championships.
- India’s Gaurav Bhiduri won a Bronze at the world Boxing championships after losing his semifinal bout against American Duke Rangan.
- With this medal ended with a lone Bronze medal.