Daily Current Affairs 22nd August, 2017
AIADMK Merger: O Panneerselvam Sworn in as Deputy CM of Tamil Nadu
- O Panneerselvam was on 21 August 2017 sworn in as the Deputy Chief Minister (CM) of Tamil Nadu, following the much-speculated merger of All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) factions.
- The two factions of the AIADMK merged six months after their split following the death of then Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa. Panneerselvam was appointed as the Coordinator of the merged AIADMK.
- Governor of Tamil Nadu is Vidyasagar Rao.
SC bans Triple Talaq
- The Supreme Court declared the practice of Triple Talaq as unconstitutional and ordered a ban on it.
- It asked the government to frame nad implement a new Muslim divorce law within six months.
Established: January 28, 1950
No. of positions: Sanctioned strength= 31(30+1) Actual present strength= 28(27+1)
Chief justice: Jagdish Singh Khehar
President Ram Nath Kovind presents colours to scouts
- The President on his maiden visit to Ladakh after getting elected, presented colours to all the five battalions of Ladakh scouts.
- The award of President’s colours is one of the honours given in recognition of exceptional service rendered to the nation.
Born: 1 October 1945 (age 71), Paraukh, Kanpur Dehat district
Presidential term: 25 July 2017 – TILL DATE
Education: Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University
Party: Bharatiya Janata Party
Residence: Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi
I & B Ministry Constituted 40-Member Preview Panel for IFFI
- The Information and Broadcasting Ministry on 21 August 2017 constituted a 40-member ‘preview committee’ for the International Film Festival of India 2017, which is going to be held in Goa.
- While filmmaker Vivek Agnihotrihas been chosen as the convenor of the committee. Besides this, the I and B Ministry also constituted a new 13-member steering committee and a 12-member technical committee, which will be headed by Jahnu Barua and Nagesh Kukunoor respectively.
- International Film Festival of India (IFFI) is scheduled to be held in Goa from 20 – 28 November 2017.
- Information and Broadcasting minister of India are Smriti Zubin Irani.
Swasth Bachche, Swasth Bharat Programme Launched
- Union Minister for Human Resource Development (HRD) Prakash Javadekar launched the ‘Swasth Bachche, Swasth Bharat’ Programme in Kochi, Kerala.
- Javadekar also launched the Health and Fitness ProfileCard along with the programme. The programme is an initiative of Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) to prepare a physical Health and Fitness Profile Card for more than 12 lakhs of Kendriya Vidyalaya students.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh launches digital police portal
- A digital police portal under the CCTNS project, which aims to create a national database of crimes and criminals has launched byHome Minister Rajnath Singh. The digital police portal will provide the citizen, facility for online complaint registration and request for antecedent verification.
- The police portal will provide 11 searches and 46 reportsfrom the national database for state police and central investigation agencies. Central investigating and research agencies have also been provided logins to the digital police database to access crime statistics.
- CCTNS stands for Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems Project or the crime and criminal tracking network system.
- Kiren Rijiju is current Union Minister of State for Home Affairs of India.
FDI jumps 37% to $10.4 billion during April-June 2017
- Foreign direct investment (FDI) into the country grew by 37 per cent to USD 10.4 billion during the first quarter of the current fiscal. According to the figures of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), India had received USD 7.59 billion FDI during April-June 2016-17.
- The main sectors which attracted the highest foreign inflows include services, telecom, trading, computer hardware and software and automobile. The bulk of the FDI came in from Singapore, Mauritius, the Netherlands and Japan.
- FDI is a major source of non-debt financial resource for the economic development of India.
- FDI and Portfolio Investment in Public Sector Banks are subject to overall statutory limits of 20 percent.
- DIPP was established in 1995 and has been reconstituted in the year 2000.
ONGC board approves HPCL takeover of 51.11% stake
- The board of state-ownedOil and Natural Gas Corp, ONGC, has given ‘in-principle’ approval to acquire government’s 51 (point) 11 per cent stake in Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd. The government had approved the sale of its 11 per cent stake in oil refiner HPCL to India’s largest oil producer ONGC. The deal will be completed within a year.
- The government had also constituted a committee headed by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and comprising oil minister Dharmendra Pradhanand road minister Nitin Gadkari to work out the modalities of the sale. Jaitley had in his Budget for 2017-18 talked about creating an integrated oil behemoth.
- HPCL is a Government of India Enterprise with a Navratna Status, and a Forbes 2000 and Global Fortune 500 company.
- Dinesh K Sarraf is the Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC).
- Registered Office & Corporate Headquarters of HPCL is in Mumbai.
Android Oreo released by Google
- Keeping up its tradition of naming its Android upgradeswith delectable desserts, Google has launched its version 8.0 o the operating system as Android Oreo.
- The Oreo boasts of a two times faster boot speed, autofill option, and a longer battery life. The new update comes with a Picture-in-Picture feature that allows the user to see two apps simultaneously.
NABARD Approves Rs 1,350-cr loan to Rajasthan Government
- The National Bank of Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD)has sanctioned a loan assistance of Rs 1,349.55 crore to the Rajasthan government for the creation of rural infrastructure in the state under the Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF).
- The sanction includes assistance for construction of two rural drinking water supply projects, strengthening/ rehabilitation of 1,614 rural roads and modernisation of three major irrigation projects.
- The government of India created the RIDF in NABARD in 1995-96, with an initial corpus of Rs.2,000 crore.
- NABARD came into existence on 12 July 1982 by transferring the agricultural credit functions of RBI and refinance functions of the then Agricultural Refinance and Development Corporation (ARDC).
- Dr Harsh Kumar Bhanwala is the Chairman of NABARD since 18th December 2013.
IOC to Invest Rs 52,000 cr in Paradip Refinery Post Pact with Odisha Govt
- State-owned Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) will invest about Rs 52,000 crore in expanding Paradip refinery in Odisha and setting up petrochemical complex after the Odisha State Government agreed to restore part of tax incentives.
- Odisha Government has agreed to restore part of tax incentives and has agreed to give Rs 700 crore per annum of an interest-free loan for 15 years to make up for the withdrawn incentive.
- Headquarters of IOC is located in New Delhi.
- Sanjiv Singh is the current Chairman of IOC.
India Football Star Oinam Bembem Devi Receives Arjuna Award
- Oinam Bembem Devi, the flagbearer of Indian women’s football for over the past two decades was named the winner of the prestigious Arjuna Award. Bembem becomes the second Indian woman footballer to win the award, the first being Shanti Mullick in 1983.
- Bembem is the 25th Footballer to have won the Arjuna Award, the last being Subrata Paul in 2016. In addition, she was also awarded the AIFF Woman Footballer Award twice, in 2001 and 2013.
President of All India Football Federation is Praful Patel.
Vishwanathan Anand among 7 Indians at Chess World Cup
- He will be taking part in the Chess World Cup to be held in Georgia from Sep 2 to 27.
- Anand has previously won the tournament twice.
National Sports Awards 2017 Announced
- National Sports Awards are given every year to recognize and reward excellence in sports. Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award is given for the spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of four year, Arjuna Award is given for consistently outstanding performance for four years, Dronacharya Awardfor coaches for producing medal winners at prestigious International sports events, Dhyan Chand Award for life time contribution to sports development.
- The Union Government announced the National Sports Awards. Para athlete Devendra and hockey player Sardar Singh will be honoured with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
(i) Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna 2017
|S. No.||Name of the Awardee||discipline|
|1.||Shri Devendra||Para Athlete|
|2.||Shri Sardar Singh||Hockey|
(ii) Dronacharya Awards 2017
|S. No.||Name of the Awardee||Discipline|
|1.||Late Dr. R. Gandhi||Athletics|
|2.||Mr. Heera Nand Kataria||Kabaddi|
|3.||Mr. G.S.S.V. Prasad||Badminton (Lifetime)|
|4.||Mr. Brij Bhushan Mohanty||Boxing (Lifetime)|
|5.||Mr. P.A. Raphel||Hockey (Lifetime)|
|6.||Mr. Sanjoy Chakraverthy||Shooting (Lifetime)|
|7.||Mr. Roshan Lal||Wrestling (Lifetime)|
(iii) Arjuna Awards 2017
|S. No.||Name of the Awardees||Discipline|
|1.||Ms. V.J. Surekha||Archery|
|2.||Ms. Khushbir Kaur||Athletics|
|3.||Mr. Arokia Rajiv||Athletics|
|4.||Ms. Prasanthi Singh||Basketball|
|5.||Sub. LaishramDebendro Singh||Boxing|
|7.||Ms. Harmanpreet Kaur||Cricket|
|8.||Ms. OinamBembem Devi||Football|
|9.||Mr. S.S.P. Chawrasia||Golf|
|10.||Mr. S.V. Sunil||Hockey|
|11.||Mr. Jasvir Singh||Kabaddi|
|12.||Mr. P. N. Prakash||Shooting|
|13.||Mr. A. Amalraj||Table Tennis|
|17.||Mr. Varun Singh Bhati||Para-Athlete|
(iv) Dhyan Chand Award
|S. No.||Name (S/Shri)||Discipline|
|1 .||Mr. Bhupender Singh||Athletics|
|2.||Mr. Syed Shahid Hakim||Football|
|3.||Ms. Sumarai Tete||Hockey|
Important Takeaways from Above News-
- Selection Committee for Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award and Arjuna Awards was headed by Justice C.K. Thakkar.
- Apart from a medal and a citation, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Awardee will receive a cash prize of Rs. 7.5 lakh. Arjuna, Dronacharya and Dhyan Chand Awardees will received statuettes, certificates and cash prize of Rs. 5 lakh each.