Daily Current Affairs 23rd December, 2016
Union Government reconstitutes committee helping Krishna River Board
- The Union Water Resources Ministry has reconstituted a committee that was tasked with assisting the Krishna River Management Board (KRMB).
- The new committee will be headed by A.K. Bajaj, former chairman of the Central Water Commission (CWC). Besides, Gopala Krishnan, R.P. Pandey, Pradeep Kumar Shukla and N.N.
- The committee’s reconstitution comes even as the Board ruled that Krishna water be divided 70:30 between Andhra Pradesh and Telangana for the coming month. The Telangana government has strongly objected to this.
NGT bans open waste burning across the country
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) imposed a complete ban on burning of waste in open places across the country and announced a fine of Rs. 25,000 on each incident of bulk waste burning.
Union Minister of State for Ayush Yesso Naik inaugurates NE Institute of Ayurveda and Homeopathy in Shillong
- Union Minister of State for Ayush Shripad Yesso Naik has inaugurated the North Eastern Institute of Ayurveda and Homeopathy (NEIAH) which aims at providing alternative health care to people of the northeastern region and Sikkim.
- The institute’s primary aim is to produce quality human resource in the area of Ayush, particularly in Ayurveda and homoeopathy along with yoga.
PM launches National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme in Kanpur
- The scheme aims to provide apprenticeship training to over 50 lakh youngsters in order to create more jobs.
- It has budgetary outlay of Rs 10000 crore
About National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme
- It will be implemented by Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
- Central Government for the first time will provide financial incentives to the employers to engage actively in apprenticeship training.
- Central Government will also directly share 25% of the total stipend (maximum of 1,500 rupees per month per apprentice) payable to an apprentice with employers
SCIENCE AND TECH
Japan successfully launches solid fuel rocket
- Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) has successfully launched a solid fuel rocket named Epsilon-2 from the Uchinoura Space Center in southern Japan.
- The 26-metre-long rocket released Exploration of energization and Radiation in Geospace (ERG) satellite for studying radiation belts around the earth soon after the lift-off.
ICC Awards 2016
- Ravichandran Ashwin has won both the ICC Cricketer of the Year and the ICC Test cricketer of the Year award after he was named as the only Indian in ICC’s Test Team of the Year.
- Virat Kohli was named the captain of the ICC ODI Team of the Year.
- Misbah-Ul-Haq won the ICC Spirit of Cricket Award at the 2016 ICC Awards becoming the first Pakistan player to win the award.
Jeje Lalpekhlua wins best footballer of the year award by AIFF
- Indian fotballer Jeje Lalpekhlua frpm Mizoram has named 2016’s All India Football Federation (AIFF) Player of the Year, an award given to the best footballer in the country.
- The 25-year-old who hails from Mizoram will be awarded a prize of 2.5 lakh.
Argentina win FIFA Team of the Year title
- FIFA has released the final rankings of 2016, with Argentina reclaiming the team of the year title from Belgium, finishing with 1634 points to top FIFA’s rankings.
- The Indian team,Blue Tigers,has also climbed a staggering 31 places from last year, finishing the year ranked 135.
India wins bronze at women’s U18 Hockey Asia Cup
- India has defeated South Korea 3-0 to secure the bronze medal at the 4th Women’s U18 Asia Cup 2016 hockey tournament in Bangkok on 22 December 2016.
- After the win, Hockey India announced cash rewards of Rs.1 lakh for each playerand 50000 for each member of the support staff.