Daily Current Affairs 24th February, 2017
BRICS summit’s 1st Sherpas Meeting held in China
- The 9th BRICS Summit’s first Sherpas Meeting was held in Nanjing, the capital of east China’s Jiangsu Province.
- The theme of meeting was ‘BRICS: Stronger Partnership for a Brighter Future’.
- It discussed priority areas of political affairs, economy and culture for BRICS cooperation, especially in the areas. The Sherpas Meeting is considered as a major channel to push forward BRICS cooperation and aimed at political preparation for the leaders’ meeting for the 9th BRICS Summit to be held in Xiamen, China.
Pakistan launches nationwide military operation Radd-ul-Fasaad to eliminate terrorists
- Pakistan army has launched nationwide military operation named ‘Radd-ul-Fasaad’ to eliminate menace of terrorism and consolidate gains of its counter-terrorism operations.
- The operation aims include the elimination of the residual and latent threat of terrorism, consolidating gains of operations made so far and ensuring the security of Pakistan’s borders.
- Pakistan Air Force, Civil Armed Forces, Pakistan Navy as well as other security and law enforcement agencies will actively participate and support the efforts of the Pakistan Army.
Kerala to launch sex offenders registry, first in the country
- The Kerala government will launch the country’s first sex offenders registry which will contain all identification details of sex offenders and would be kept in public domain.
- A comprehensive victim relief fund will be set-up by the state government to provide interim relief for victims of sex crimes, both children and adults.
India, Israel to develop MR-SAM missile system for Army
- The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved a deal to jointly develop a medium range surface-to-air missile (MR-SAM) system for Army with help of Israel.
- The deal will be executed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Israel Aircraft Industries (IAI).
- The system will be based on the older Barak system of Israel, which is in use in India.
- It has a range of 50-70 km.
- It will be manufactured in India and will have an 80% indigenous content. Under this deal, the DRDO will play a crucial role in developing the target homing system.
- Deliveries of the system will begin in 2023.
- The MR-SAM system will be the latest in a series of other variants of SAM systems used by the Navy and the Air Force which is jointly developed by India and Israel.
74th Central Excise Day celebrated by CBEC
- The Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) celebrated 74th Central Excise Day on 24th February in New Delhi.
- CBEC is the single largest contributor to the national exchequer with the collection of Rs 8,50,000 crore a year.