Daily Current Affairs 26th August, 2017
North East’s First Nungthaang Tampak is 100% Computer Literate Village
- Manipur’s Nungthaang Tampak villagehas emerged as the ‘100 percent computer literate’ not only in the state but in the entire North East. The computer course was organized by Mangal Rural as a part of the Digital India program.
- Nungthang Tampak has become India’s second 100 percent computer literate village. Kerala’s Chamravattom village is the country’s first 100 percent computer literate village.
- N Biren Singh is the present CM of Manipur.
- Dr. Najma Heptulla is the present Governor of Manipur.
In Kerala- E- waste Disposal kicks starts from Schools
- E-waste removal from Kerala schools has begun with about 12,500 kg being disposed statewide on a single day under a programme aiming to clear accumulated junk, reportedly estimated at over one crore kg.
- It is aimed at disposing e-Waste such as desktop computers, CRT monitors, laptops, disk drives, printers, UPS, camera, speaker system, television, network components and generators from 10,000 odd schools and educational offices in the state.
- Pinarayi Vijayan is the Present CM of Kerala.
- Palaniswamy Sathasivam is the Present Governor of Kerala.
Jammu and Kashmir Government to Set Up First Eco-Park
- The Jammu and Kashmir governmenthas decided to build an Eco-Park on over 34 acres of land reclaimed from encroachers in the state’s Rajouri district.
- The park is a first-of-its-kind project in the region. It will have a botanical garden, a cactus garden, a cafeteria and other amenities.
- Mehbooba Mufti Sayeed is the present CM of Jammu and Kashmir.
- N. N. Vohra is the Present Governor of Jammu and Kashmir.
CA Institute Signs MoU with ICA Nepal
- The CA Institute of Indiahas signed an MoU with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nepal (ICAN). Nilesh Vikamsey, President, Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) and Prakash Jung Thapa, President–ICAN exchanged the MoU.
- The MoU seeks to establish mutual co-operationfor the advancement of accounting knowledge, professional and intellectual development, advancing the interests of their respective members and positively contributing to the development of the accounting profession in Nepal and India.
- Bidhya Devi Bhandari is the present President of Nepal.
- Kathmandu is the capital of Nepal.
Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik Launches Rooftop Solar Program
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched the grid-connected rooftop solar project through net-metering system. He also launched the web portal of the rooftop solar programme– www.rtsodisha.gov.in.
Under the program, it can install solar plants on their rooftops and consume the generated solar power during the day time. The investment on a rooftop solar system is about Rs 70,000 per kw. The state government will provide 30 percent subsidy to the consumers.
- S C Jamir is the Present Governor of Odisha.
In a First, Nepal launches Climate-Smart Snow Leopard Plan
- In a first, Nepal launched its climate-smart snow leopard landscape management plan, leading the way in safeguarding this endangered species, also found in India, and its habitat.
- This is the first climate-smartlandscape management plan for snow leopard conservation in the world. The plan aims to safeguard the endangered species of snow leopard and its habitat.
- Leopard is listed as Endangered on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.
- Sher Bahadur Deuba is the present PM of Nepal.
RBI Appoints Committee to Link Home Loan Rates to Repo Rate
- Reserve Bank of India appointed committeeon Household Finance has suggested that banks link their home loan rates to the RBI’s repo rate, the rate at which it lends to banks.
- In the past three years the central bank has reduced the policy rate by 200 basis points, but the weighted average lending rates have fallen by 145 basis points.
- RBI Headquarters in Mumbai.
- The 24th Governor of RBI is Dr. Urjit Patel.
Commerce Ministry Sets Up Task Force on Artificial Intelligence
- Commerce and industry minister Nirmala Sitharamanhas constituted a task force on artificial intelligence (AI) to ensure “India’s economic transformation”. The task force will be headed by V. Kamakoti, a professor in the department of computer science and engineering at Indian Institute of Technology, Madras.
- The committee will focus on a wide spectrum of areas including agriculture and transportation. The panel will comprise 18 experts, academics, researchers and industry leaders and will explore possibilities to leverage AI for development across various fields.
- Artificial intelligence is intelligence exhibited by machines, rather than humans or other animals.
Coast Guard Training Ship Varuna Decommissioned
- The Indian Coast Guard Ship Varuna,which was part of the First Training Squadron of the Navy, was decommissioned with full armed forces honors at a ceremony. The ship had an illustrious service spanning about 30 years.
- ICGS Varuna was the fourth of in its class of offshore patrol vessels built by the Mumbai-based Mazagon Dock. The ship had numerous operational achievements to its credit, including a record number of apprehension of smugglers with gold worth crores of rupees during the late 1980s.
- ICGS Varuna has now been replaced by ICGS Sarathi in the First Training Squadron of the Indian Navy.
England to Host 2018 ITTF Team World Cup
- England has been awardedthe right to host the 2018 Table Tennis Team World Cup, which will be held in The event will take place at the Copper Box Arena in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park from 22-25 February 2018.
- It will be the first major tabletennis-only event to be held in London since Wembley hosted the 1954 World Championships. A total of 12 men’s and 12 women’s teams will compete at the event.
- Thomas Weikert is the president of ITTF.
Saina enters semis
- Shuttler Saina Nehwal reached Badminton World Championships semi finals for the second straight time.
- PV Sindhu also entered the semis.
Mo Farah wins career’s last 5000m race
He won with a margin of 0.04 seconds at the Diamond League.
Britain’s Farah won a total of 10 gold medals at the Olympics and World Championships during his track career.