Daily Current Affairs 27th August, 2017
Air Chief inaugurates 56th annual aerospace conference.
- Air Chief marshal BS Dhanoa inaugurated the 56th annual three day conference of Indian Society of Aerospace Medicine in Banglore.
Mahatma Gandhi and PM Modi to figure at Madame Tussauds.
- Wax figures of the leaders will be part of a new special zone at Madame Tussauds to be housed at the Regal building in New Delhi.
- Notably, first Madame Tussauds museum in India was open in Delhi.
US imposes fresh sanctions against Venezuelan government.
- In US president Donald Trump imposed fresh sanctions against Venezuela restricting country’s financial system from dealing in new debt from Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro’s government or its state oil company.
- The financial sanctions are aimed at restricting the ability of Maduro’s regime to finance its Unconstitutional and Undemocratic behavior.
HDFC Bank Launches All-in-one PoS Machine
- HDFC Bank announced a software upgrade to create a single point-of-sale (PoS) machinewhich will accept payments through Unified Payments Interface (UPI), BharatQR, SMS Pay and the bank’s mobile wallet, in addition to the traditional mode of swiping cards.
- The merchant has to do is to update his/her machine with a software at no cost. The new software will work only on HDFC Bank-issued PoS machines, but will accept any card or app from any bank/service provider.
- HDFC Bank Limited is headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- MD of HDFC Bank is Aditya Puri.
- The upgraded device will also allow merchants to offer equated monthly installment (EMI)-based payments using HDFC Bank credit and debit cards.
Australia to help India to become a Pulse processing hub.
- Australia is learnt to be exploring ways to help India transform into a ‘pulses-processing hub’.
- Regarding this the Australian government and that country’s agri-business companies will hold talks with the Government of India and Indian companies including those into processing, retail and imports of pulses, on the sidelines of the ‘Australia Business Week in India’ (ABWI)
Commerce ministry set up task force on Artificial Intelligence.
- Commerce and Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has constituted a Task Force chaired by V. Kamakoti of IIT Madras to explore possibilities to leverage Artificial Intelligence (AI) for development across various fields.
- The ‘task force on AI for India’s Economic Transformation’ will submit concrete and implementable recommendations for government.
Government restricts import of Gold and Silver from S Korea.
- In a move to curb surging gold and silver imports from South Korea, the government has decided to put these items in the restricted category wherein importers will need permission from the government before importing them.
- This comes in the wake of more than a $1 billion worth gold imports from South Korea between July 1-August 21.
Banks to Pay 3% IGST on Gold Imports
- Banks importing gold and precious metalswill have to pay 3 per cent tax under the GST which can be claimed as input tax credit.
- Under GST 3% Integrated-GST is payable on all imports of precious metals in addition to the basic customs duty. IGST paid can be taken as input tax credit by the banks.
APPOINTMENT AND RESIGNATION
Dharmendra Kumar Appointed Director General of RPF
- CISF ADG Dharmendra Kumar has been appointed as Director General of the Railway Protection Force. Kumar, who is a 1984 batch IPS officer of Arunachal Pradesh-Goa-Mizoram-Union Territories (AGMUT) cadre, took charge.
- After the retirement of S K Bhagat in June 2017, the additional charge of DG, RPF, was being handled by National Security Guard (NSG) DG, Sudhir Pratap Singh. Kumar will retire on September 30, 2018.
- Shri B.N.Laihri was the first DG of RPF.
PERSON IN NEWS
Dipak Misra to be India’s next Chief Justice.
Justice Dipak Misra will take office as the 45th Chief Justice of India on Monday.
This comes after CJI JS Kehar retired on 27th August.
Biju Patnaik Award for Scientific Excellence
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik granted the Biju Patnaik Award for Scientific Excellencefor the year 2016 to Prof Digambar Behera.
- Digambar Behera is senior professor and Head, Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) in Chandigarh. The award is given by Odisha Bigyan Academy(OBA).
- S C Jamir is the present Governor of Odisha.
Messi Becomes First Ever Player to Score 350 La Liga Goals
- Barcelona forward Lionel Messiscored a second-half brace against Alaves, becoming the first ever player to score 350 goals in La Liga.
- Messi’s best goal tally for a season came in 2011/12 when he netted 50 goals in 37 appearances. Messi, who has played 384 league matches, is now 66 goals ahead of rival Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Lionel Andrés Messi is an Argentine professional footballer who plays as a forward for Spanish club FC Barcelona and the Argentina national team.