Daily Current Affairs 28th August, 2017
India, China Agree to Disengage at Doklam
- India and China have agreed to withdraw their troops from Doklamafter being in a standoff for over two months. According to the Ministry of External Affairs, the expeditious disengagement has been agreed to and is going on.
- The standoff had started after India objected to China constructing a road in the disputed area.
- Xi Jinping is the present President of China.
- The Capital of China is Beijing and its Currency is Renminbi.
Island of Tuvalu World’s Least Visited Country: UN Report
- According to a report by theUnited Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), the island of Tuvalu was the least visited country in 2016.
- According to the report, 2,000 people visited Tuvalu in 2016, while 1,000 people visited the country in 2014. Located in the South Pacific Ocean, Tuvalu is 4.6 meters above sea level and has a population of 11,000 people.Important points:-–
- The island of Tuvalu is the fourth smallest country in the world in terms of land area.
- Funafuti is the capital of Tuvalu.
Dipak Misra Sworn in as CJI
Justice Dipak Misra was sworn in as the 45th Chief Justice of India. At a brief ceremony in the Darbar Hall of Rashtrapati Bhawan, President Ramnath Kovind administered the oath of office to Mr. Misra.
Justice Misra, 64, assumes office following the retirement of Justice J.S. Khehar. Justice Misra will have a tenure of about 14 months till October 2, 2018.
- H. J. Kania was the first Chief Justice of Independent India.
Baba Ram Rahim Sentenced 10 Years of Imprisonment
- Special CBI judge Jagdeep Singh sentenced Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singhto 10 years of imprisonment. The sentencing came three days after the CBI court in Panchkula convicted Singh in a 2002 rape case.
- A three-tier security ring was set up around the district jail. The Dera chief was sent for a medical examination and then will be given a prison uniform and will be allotted a jail cell.
- The CBI filed the charge-sheet against the Dera head in Ambala court in July 2007 about five years after the registration of the rape case (in 2002).
- The charge-sheet mentions sexual exploitation of two ‘Sadhvis’ (women followers) between 1999 and 2001.
Two-day Indian Ocean Conference in Colombo
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swarajwill participate in the two-day Indian Ocean Conference to be held in Colombo, Sri Lanka in which Sri Lankan prime minister and the president are among key speakers.
- The theme of the conference is peace, progress, and prosperity.It will see participation from around 35 countries and have speakers from 25 countries. The conference will be held in Temple Trees, the official residence of the Lankan prime minister.
- This will be second ICO conference, the first was held in Singapore in 2016.
Rural Games to Take Place in Delhi
- Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Minister Mr. Vijay Goelannounced that the first edition of Rural Games or Grameen Khel Mahotsav will kick-start from Delhi.
- The Rural Games will aim at popularising the indigenous games like wrestling, athletics etc. and will also have fun games like Matka Race, Tug of War for senior citizens to add the fun element in the games.
Arun Jaitley hands over LRSAM to Indian Navy
- Defence Minister Arun Jaitley handed over the Long-Range Surface-to-Air Missile (LRSAM) jointly developed by India and Israel, to the Indian Navy, at Bharat Dynamics Ltd (BDL). LRSAM is an advanced combat suit for missile defence against air targets and missiles, and has full capabilities of air and surface surveillance, threat alert and fire control.
- The minister also dedicated a first-of-its kind 50-tonneRocket Motor Static Test Facility. He inaugurated the ASTRA Manufacturing Unit at the BDL’s Bhanur unit.
- Admiral Sunil Lanba is the present CNS of Indian Navy.
- The ASTRA weapon system is an indigenously developed air-to-air Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missile developed by the DRDO.
World’s first diamond futures exchange starts trading in India.
- Indian Commodity Exchange(ICEX) commenced operatins as the world’s first diamond futures exchange.
- The exchange is backed by companies like Reliance and MMTC.
Govt notifies changes to Banking Regulation Act.
- The government has notified the Banking Regulation (Amendment) Act under which it can authorise the RBI to issue directions to banks to initiate insolvency resolution process to recover bad loans.
- The banking sector is saddled with non-performing assets (NPAs) of over Rs 8 lakh crore, of which Rs 6 lakh crore is with public sector banks (PSBs).
IRDAI Launches Central Database of Insurance Sales Persons
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has launched a Central Database of all Insurance Sales Persons in the country.
- Named as `Envoy’, the database will ensure that all licensed insurance sales persons working for insurers and intermediaries including entities such as insurance agents, broker qualified persons, specified persons of corporate agents do not work with multiple insurers and intermediaries in the same business category.
- Chairman of IRDAI is TS Vijayan.
- Headquarter of IRDAI is in Hyderabad, Telangana.
Airtel Ties up with Symantec
- The country’s largest telecom services provider,Bharti Airtel, entered into a partnership with Symantec Corp, the world’s leading cyber security company, to serve the growing cyber security requirements of businesses in India.
- It will provide protection and prevention of online threats in an increasingly digitally connected world. According to the agreement, Airtel will be the exclusive Cyber Security Services partner for Symantec in India,and will distribute Symantec’s enterprise security software.
- Bharti Airtel was established on July 07, 1995, as a Public Limited Company.
- Chairmain of Airtel India is Sunil Bharti Mittal.
- Its MD & CEO (India and South asia) is Gopal Vittal.
PERSON IN NEWS
Sushma Swaraj Inaugurated 1st ‘Videsh Bhavan’ in Mumbai
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swarajinaugurated the country’s first ‘Videsh Bhavan’. The Bhavan integrates all offices of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) in Maharashtra It is located in the Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC), Mumbai.
- As a first pilot project, four offices of MEA – Regional Passport Office (RPO), Protector of Emigrants (PoE) office, Branch Secretariat and Regional Office of ICCR – have been assimilated and brought under one roof at the state-of-art office.
Hamilton Wins Belgian Grand Prix
- Mercedes’ British Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton registered his 58th career race win after claiming the Belgian Grand Prix title.
- Hamilton’s rival Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel came second, while Daniel Ricciardo was placed third. With the win, Hamilton has cut Vettel’s lead at the top of the drivers’ championship to seven points.
- He recently won the British Grand Prix for the fifth time.
P V Sindhu Won Silver at World Badminton Championship 2017
- PV Sindhu won the Silver medalin World Badminton Championship 2017. She lost the historic match against Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara in an epic final, in Glasgow, Scotland. In the longest match of the tournament, Sindhu lost (19-21 22-20 20-22) after battling hard for one hour and 49 minutes.
- For India, it still is a historic edition since for the first time country’s shuttler are returning with two medals. Saina Nehwal won a bronze.
- Prakash Padukone was the first Indian to win a medal in this event when he took a bronze in the men’s singles in 1983.
- Women’s doubles pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa bagged another bronze in 2011.
First edition of Rural Games to take place in Delhi.
- Union Mnister of Youth Affairs and Sports Minister Vijay Goel announced that the first edition of Rural Games or Grameen Khel Mahostav will be held in Delhi.
- The rural games will aim to popularizing the indigenous games like wrestling, athletics etc. and will also have fun games like matka race, tug of war for senior citizens.