Daily Current Affairs 29th September, 2016
PMUY launched in the state of Jammu and Kashmir at Srinagar
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY)
- launched by Hon’ble Chief Minister of J&K Mehbooba Mufti.
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, which was launched by the Prime Minister on 1st May 2016 at Ballia (Uttar Pradesh).
Indian women’s kabaddi team on 28 September 2016 wins gold in Asian Beach Games
- 5th Asian Beach Games held at Vietnam
India defeated Thailand .
Final was played at Bien Dong Park in Danang, Vietnam.
WHO declares Region of the Americas as Measles free
- The World Health Organisation, a specialised agency of UN has declared the Region of the Americas as Measles free.
- The Americas became the first in the world to have eliminated measles, .
- Measles:- A viral disease that can cause severe health problems, including pneumonia, blindness, brain swelling and even death
- The World Health Organization is a specialized agency of the United Nations that is concerned with international public health.
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Founded: April 7, 1948
- Head: Margaret Chan
- Founders: France, Denmark, Ecuador, Australia, Canada, more
- Parent organization: United Nations
Cuba and Russia sign agreement on Peaceful Nuclear Cooperation
- Rosatom, Russian state nuclear agency, and Cuba’s Ministry of Science on 27 September 2016 signed an agreement on cooperation in the field of peaceful atomic energy use.
- The deal was signed by Rosatom Deputy CEO for International Relations Nikolai Spassky and Cuban Deputy Science Minister Jose Fidel Santana.
Karnataka Bank inks distribution pact with Birla Sun Life AMC
- Karnataka Bank Ltd has inked a memorandum of understanding with Birla Sun Life Asset Management Company for distribution of mutual fund products.
IWAI inks 3 MoUs with DCI and MPT for inland water transport
- The Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) has signed three separate MoUs with Dredging Corporation of India (DCI) and Mormugao Port Trust (MPT) to accelerate the development of inland water transport sector as an alternative mode of transport in Panaji.
Former Australian cricketer Max Walker passes away
- Former Australian cricketer Max Walker, whose awkward and unorthodox bowling action earned him the nickname ‘Tangles’, passed away.
- Maxwell Henry Norman Walker was an Australian cricketer and Australian rules football player.
World Maritime Day: 29 September
The World Maritime Day theme for 2016 is “Shipping: indispensable to the world”
World Heart Day: 29 September
- World Heart Day is being observed annually on 29 September across the world.
- Objective:- To inform people around the world about the danger of heart disease and stroke.
- The World Heart Day 2016 theme :- ‘Light Your Heart, Empower Your Life’.
- About World Heart Day :- Founded in 2000 to inform people around the globe that heart disease and stroke are the world’s leading causes of death, claiming 17.3 million lives each year.