Daily Current Affairs 2nd September, 2017
PM Modi Leaves For Two Nation tour to china and Myanmar
- In the first leg of his three-day tour to China, Mr Modi will reach Xiamen to attend the 9th BRICS Summit there.
- Then, the Prime Minister will leave for Myanmar. This will be Prime Minister Modi’s first bilateral State visit to that country. Mr. Modi will hold discussions with State Counsellor Daw Aung San Suu Kyi on matters of mutual interest and also call on President U Htin Kyaw.
- Naypyidaw is the Capital of Myanmar.
- The 8th BRICS Summit held on 16th October 2016 at Goa, India.
World’s Highest Sandcastle Built in German City
- The world’s highest sandcastleis now standing 68 meters tall in the German city of Duisburg. A German travel operator organized the construction of the mammoth sandcastle, bringing in 3,500 tons of sand over the past three and a half weeks to the site at a former steelworks in the inland city.
- It takes the title from a 14.84-metre sandcastle built early this year in India by sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik.
- Berlin is the Capital of Germany.
- Angela Merkel is the Chancellor of Germany.
India-European FTA talks this month
India and the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) are planning to shortly conclude their long pending negotiations on FTA. So far, 16 rounds of negotiations have taken place, talks for which started in 2008.
- The proposed agreement covers trade in goods and services, investments, trade facilitation, Customs cooperation, protection of intellectual property and public procurement.
- Under an FTA, trading partners give market access to each other with a view to promoting bilateral trade in goods and services, besides investments.
- India is negotiating similar pacts with several other countries, including Australia, New Zealand, Israel and Canada. It has implemented FTAs with Singapore, South Korea, Japan and Asean, among others.
About European Free Trade Association
The European Free Trade Association (EFTA) is an intergovernmental organisation, established in 1960 by the EFTA Convention for the promotion of free trade and economic integration between its Member States (today Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland), within Europe and globally.
- The organisation operates in parallel with the European Union (EU), and all four member states participate in the European single market.
- EFTA does not envisage political integration. It does not issue legislation, nor does it establish a customs union.
Government Released the Guidelines of Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi had announced the pan-India implementation of this scheme w.e.f. 01st January, 2017.
- Guidelines inter-alia provide Aadhaar linkage, Direct Benefit Transfer, antenatal check-up and registration of child birth & first cycle of immunisation of the child.
- Implemented by the Ministry of Women & Child Development in collaboration with State Governments.
About Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana :
Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana (PMMVY),previous name was Indira Gandhi Matritva Sahyog Yojana (IGMSY), is a maternity benefit program run by the government of India.
- It is a conditional cash transfer scheme for pregnant and lactating women of 19 years of age or above for first two live births.
- It provides a partial wage compensationto women for wage-loss during childbirth and childcare and to provide conditions for safe delivery and good nutrition and feeding practices.
- In 2013, the scheme was brought under the National Food Security Act, 2013 to implement the provision of cash maternity benefit of ₹6,000 stated in the Act.
- Centrally Sponsored Scheme :- Cost sharing ratio between the Centre and the States & UTs with Legislature is 60:40, for North-Eastern States & three Himalayan States, it is 90:10 and 100% Central assistance for Union Territories without Legislature.
Annual Conference ‘Rajaswa Gyan Sangam’ in New Delhi
PM Narendra Modi inaugurated the two-day annual conference, Rajaswa Gyan Sangam, 2017 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi. The conference, jointly organized by the Central Board of Direct Taxes and the Central Board of Excise and Customs.
Objective of Rajaswa Gyan Sangam 2017 :- To enable two-way communication between policy-makers and senior officers in field offices with view to increase revenue collection and facilitate effective implementation of law and policies in key result areas..
Attended by senior officers of CBDT and CBEC. The senior officers of Finance Department of the States and Union Territories for first time also attended this conference.
- In 2016, the first time joint Conference of the two Boards was held under the umbrella of ‘Rajaswa Gyan Sangam’.
SC to hear Rohingya plea for help
The Supreme Court has agreed to hear an urgent plea made by two Rohingya Muslim immigrants against the government’s proposed move to deport their 40,000-strong refugee community back to their native Myanmar, where discrimination and possibly summary executions await them.
Rohingya children to get UNHCR cards in Bengal
The West Bengal government will distribute identity cards issued by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) to Rohigya children lodged in the juvenile justice homes of the State.
- The move comes at a time when there are reports that the Union government is planning to deport Rohingyas refugees.
Who are the Rohingya?
Few years ago, religious and ethnic tensions between the Rohingya Muslims and the Rakhine Buddhists (who make up the majority of the population in Mayanmar) escalated into widespread, deadly rioting. Hundreds of thousands were forced to flee. Since then, ongoing violent attacks have forced even more people to leave their homes.
- The Myanmar Government says that Rohingya people are not Burmese citizens – but the Rohingya have been living in Myanmar for generations. Today, they are a people with no home or citizenship.
- Rohingya people are being widely abused and exploited. They are one of the most persecuted minorities in the world.
ECONOMY, BANKING AND FINANCE
To harness the potential of mobile technology, APEDA has developed a mobile app- Hortinet- to allow farmers to apply on-line to facilitate their farm registration, tracking the status of application & approvals by State Government and Lab sampling by authorized Laboratories.
- This mobile app initiative is expected to increase the accessibility and reach of the Traceability software system among the farmers and other stakeholders.
Hortinet is an integrated traceability system developed by APEDA for providing Internet based electronic services to the stakeholders for facilitating farm registration, testing and certification of Grape, Pomegranate and Vegetables for export from India to the European Union in compliance with standards.
This new Mobile app will also assist State Horticulture/ Agriculture Department to capture real time details of farmers, farm location, products and details of inspections like date of inspection, name of inspecting directly from field. After registration and approval of farm, farmer gets approval information.
The key features of the app are:
- Online Farm registration application and status tracking
- Processing and approval on on-line farmer applications by State Horticulture /Agriculture department.
- Registration of farmers, farms and products by State Horticulture/Agriculture department
- Capture geo location of the farms registered through the app
- Sample collection by APEDA authorized Laboratories along with geo location of the sample.
The Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) was established by the Government of India under the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority Act 1985. The Authority replaced the Processed Food Export Promotion Council (PFEPC).
APEDA is mandated with the responsibility of export promotion and development of the following scheduled products:
- Fruits, Vegetables and their Products.
- Meat and Meat Products.
- Poultry and Poultry Products.
- Dairy Products.
- Confectionery, Biscuits and Bakery Products.
- Honey, Jaggery and Sugar Products.
- Cocoa and its products, chocolates of all kinds.
- Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages.
- Cereal and Cereal Products.
Administrative set up:
- Chairman – Appointed by the Central Government.
- Director – Appointed by APEDA.
- Secretary – Appointed by the Central Government.
- Other Officers and Staff – Appointed by the Authority.
SAAB Ties up With Adani Group to Build Gripen E fighter jets in India
- Swedish defence major SAAB announced its tie-up with Adani Group to manufacture the Gripen E fighter jets in India under the Defence Ministry’s $10 billion single-engine fighter jet procurement programme.
- The announcement comes within months of US’ Lockheed Martin announcing its joint venture with Tata Advanced Systems for producing the latest version of F-16 in India.
- Mr Gautam Adani is the Chairman and Founder of the Adani Group.
- Gripen is now being used by the air forces of Hungary, Thailand, South Africa, Brazil and the Czech Republic.
- The Gripen E, under the ‘Make in India’ initiative
About F- 16
The General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon is a single-engine supersonic multirole fighter aircraft originally developed by General Dynamics (now Lockheed Martin) for the United States Air Force (USAF). Designed as an air superiority day fighter, it evolved into a successful all-weather multirole aircraft.
A fighter mission can be compared to large scale chess games, where the fighter allows you to get the right situation awareness in order to communicate the right information to take the adequate decision. The same analogy to chess games applies regardless if the mission to perform is air-to-air, reconnaissance or air-to-ground. In all the case the fighter needs the following:
- Information 2. Movements 3. Weapons
The Gripen E fighter is equipped with the latest available technics in those keys areas.
Features -Gripen E -The Smart Fighter
AESA stands for Active Electronically Scanned Array and means that, in contrast to older generation radars, it has not only one antenna but a full array of small antennas, called elements. This means that the radar can simultaneously and independently track different targets, and also track targets independently of search volumes.
Gripen E is a Network Centric fighter and can communicate two ways with all armed units. It has a secure and multi-frequency data links system that provides total situation awareness. The acquired information – along with information about each Gripen’s position, fuel and weapon status – is shared with other Gripen fighters via the data link.
Gripen E is built for high survivability in a combat environment. Gripen tactics are based on smart use of a variety of electronic warfare capabilities. The RWR (Radar Warning Receiver) is the source for an accurate sensor for detecting emitting threats such as radar. And the Missile Approach Warning (MAW) system can detect and track incoming missiles of all types.
Ahmedabad – Status of India’s First World Heritage City by UNESCO
- Gujarat’s commercial capital Ahmedabadwas formally accorded the status of India’s first World Heritage City by UNESCO. UNESCO Director General Irina Bokova handed over the certificate declaring Ahmedabad as a ‘World Heritage City’ to Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani in Gandhinagar.
- In July, the UN agency had inscribed Ahmedabad as India’s first World Heritage City at a meeting held in Poland.
Important facts related to above News-–
- UNESCO stands for United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization.
- Irina Bokova is the Present Director-General of UNESCO.
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani
Kenneth I. Juster Named U.S Ambassador to India
- Kenneth I. Juster,deputy director of the National Economic Council at the White House, has been nominated as the next U.S ambassador to India.
- The appointment will take effect once the U.S Senate confirms him. The post has been vacant since January 20, 2017.
- Donald Trump is the Present and 45th President of India.
ENVIRONMENT, SCIENCE AND TECH
Anita Karwal Replaces RK Chaturvedi as CBSE Chairperson
- IAS officer Anita Karwalwas appointed as the new Chairperson of Central Board of Secondary Education, CBSE. The 1988-batch officer from Gujarat cadre is currently serving as additional secretary in HRD Ministry.
- She would be replacing Rajesh Kumar Chaturvedi, who has been appointed as Director General of the National Skill Development Agency.
Indian-origin Joseph Yuvaraj Pillay Appointed Interim President of Singapore
- Indian-origin veteran civil servant JY Pillay took over as Singapore’s acting President until a new head of the state is elected later September.
- The temporary appointment of Pillay, Chairman of the Council of Presidential Advisers (CPA), follows the completion of President Tony Tan Keng Yam’s six-year term.