Daily Current Affairs 31st August, 2017
Cabinet approves MoU with Myanmar for the Conservation of Pagodas at Bagan
- The Union Cabinet has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Myanmar for the conservation of earthquake-damaged pagodas at Bagan, Myanmar.
- Implementation of the project will further strengthen India’s enduring ties in culture and religion with Myanmar.
- It will also generate immense goodwill for India among the people of Myanmar due to the religious significance as well as the touristic significance of the project.
- It will also contribute to India’s development partnership with Myanmar.
- It will be an opportunity to showcase India’s expertise in the restoration and conservation of monuments not only to the people of Myanmar but also to the tourists from other countries.
India-Israel Industrial R&D and Technological Innovation Fund
- The Union Cabinet has approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Israel on “India-Israel Industrial R&D and Technological Innovation Fund (I4F)”. The MoU was concluded in July, 2017.
- The MoU envisages promotion of bilateral Industrial R&D and Innovation cooperation in the fields of science and technology by extending support to joint projects for innovative or technology-driven new or improved products, services or processes.
- Such projects will lead to affordable technological innovations in focus areas of mutual interest such as water, agriculture, energy and digital technologies. Institutional support in building up consortia including private industry, enterprises and R&D institutions from India and Israel will be enabled through these collaborative projects.
- India and Israel will make an contribution of four million US Dollars each for the Fund, both equivalent amount, annually for five years.
- The Innovation Fund will be governed by a joint Board which will consist of four members from each country.
S Korea claims to have missile capable of striking N Korea
- South Korea claimed that it has missile with top-level precision and power to strike any place in North Korea.
- After N Korea test-fired a missile over Japan, S Korea responded to the test be drpping 8 multi-purpose bombs over North Korean border.
Gobindobhog Rice Gets Geographical Indication Status
- Gobindobhog rice, a speciality from Burdwan district of West Bengal, has got the geographical indication (GI) status.
- The state government had applied for GI status for Gobindobhog rice on August 24, 2015. The region of Burdwan (now divided into the districts of east and west Burdwan) is known as the rice bowl of Bengal.
ECONOMY, BANKING AND FINANCE
Over 1.4% of demonetised Rs.1000 notes not returned: RBI
- Post demonetisation, only 1.4% of old Rs.1000 notes have not come back into the banking system.
- Further, the cost of printing currency has been doubled to Rs.7965 crore
Banned notes getting back into system many not be legit: Arun Jaitley
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said that all banned currency getting back into the system may not be legitimate money.
- This comes after RBI announced that 99% of the demonetised cash had come back into the system.
Rajasthan reported highest share of economic crimes in 2015
- Including criminal breach of trust, cheating, forgery and counterfeiting, Rajasthan accounts for 18% of a total of 1.5 lakh economic crimes.
- Uttar Pradesh is second with 9.7% and Maharashtra is third with 9.1%.
ENVIRONMENT, SCIENCE AND TECH
ISRO to launch new navigation satellite IRNSS-1H
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is all set to launch a new navigation satellite on August 31. IRNSS-1H will replace IRNSS-1A which failed due to deficiencies in three atomic clocks that are crucial in providing positional information to users on earth.
- IRNSS-1H will be launched on board ISRO’s PSLV-C39 The new satellite will expand the existing seven satellites of NavIC constellation.
Unicity Launched World’s First ever Genomeceuticals Range of Products in India
- Unicity International, headquartered in Orem, Utah, United States has launched world’s first ever Genomeceutical (gene controlling) range of products to India.
- DNA contains the biological code that defines every single protein in the body. DNA undergoes a process called transcription or gene expression that creates a “messenger” molecule, telling the body to make a specific protein.
PERSONS IN NEWS
PV Sindhu, First Brand Ambassador for Bridgestone India
- Badminton ace PV Sindhu, who recently won Silver at the World Championship, was appointed the first brand ambassador of tyre maker Bridgestone India.
- The shuttler has signed a three year deal with Bridgestone India, a subsidiary of Bridgestone which is one of the sponsors for the Olympics 2020 in Japan. The Padma Shri recipient became the first Indian woman to win an Olympic silver medal in the Olympic Games Rio 2016.
R.K. Raghavan is New High Commissioner of India to Cyprus
- According to the External Affairs Ministry, Former CBI Director R.K. Raghavan has been appointed High Commissioner to Cyprus. His specialization is cybersecurity.
- He had been CBI Director from January 1999 to April 2001. The Supreme Court appointed him head of the Anti-Ragging Monitoring Committee in 2006.
Kuldip Kaura is new interim CEO of Vedanta Ltd
- Metal and mining major Vedanta Ltd appointed Kuldip Kaura as its interim CEO.
- Kaura succeeds Tom Albanese, who steps down as CEO. The company has a presence across India, South Africa, Namibia, Australia, and Ireland.
Rajiv Gauba Takes Over as Union Home Secretary
- Rajiv Gauba took over as Secretary to the Government of India in the Ministry of Home Affairs. Mr. Gauba joined the Ministry of Home Affairs as Officer on Special Duty on June 27, 2017 and took charge as the Union Home Secretary upon the superannuation of Shri Rajiv Mehrishi.
MS Dhoni becomes 6th Indian cricketer to play 300 ODIs
- Dhoni made his ODI debut in 2004 against Bangladesh has scored over 9,600 runs and made 377 dismissals.
- He is the 4th highest ODI run-scorer for India.